Five Pillars of Islam
1. Make a declaration of faith, called the shahada. States, "There is no god but God, Muhammad is the messenger of God."
2. Pray five times a day towards Mecca after a ritual washing. Some pray in houses of worship called masjids, masques, or muezzin.
3. Give charity to the poor.
4. Fast from sunrise to sunset during the holy month of Ramadan. The sick and young are not required to fast.
5. Make the hajj, a pilgrimage to Mecca, if possible. Pilgrims wear simple clothes to clear social and cultural classes so that all are equal under God.
People of the Book
Qur'an: God's final and complete revelation.
- Different from Christian and Hebrew scriptures. Contain portions of earlier revelations.
- Tells Muslims to be "People of the Book" and to be superior to polytheistic worshipers.
Qur'an- The Sacred Word of God
- God is all-powerful and compassionate.
- Priests are not to mediate people and God.
- Teaches about God's will and provides lessons to living a good life.
- Emphasizes honesty, generosity, and social justice.
- Harsh penalties for crimes.
- Judgment Day: Paradise or Hell.
- Qur'an is unchangeable word of God.
- All Muslims must learn Arabic because it is the original language of the Qur'an.